benjamin f spector
i am a second year phd student in cs at stanford working with the amazing chris re. i make ml go brr. i also am lucky to run cofactory.ai with chappy asel and silas alberti.
special thanks to the hertz foundation for funding my phd. ♡
before coming to stanford, i received my sb in cs+math and my meng in cs at mit, where i was very lucky to be advised by tim kraska.
reach me via carrier pigeon.
things i did
- accelerating llm inference with staged speculative decoding (esfomo@icml2023)
- learned string index structures for in-memory databases (thesis)
- [poster] characterization and performance predictions of l-mode plasmas in the sparc tokamak (apsdpp2021)
- bounding the last mile: efficient learned string indexing (aidb@vldb2021)
- preventing adversarial use of datasets through fair core-set construction (priml@neurips2019)
- sample-efficient reinforcement learning through transfer and architectural priors (ciai@nips2017)
sometimes i write
kids markets aren't alright
- ai economics
- the generation game
- the pricing wars
- the scale mindset is expensive
- a love letter to mit's blackboards
- effective startup ideation
- specialization and the hive mind
also do not scrape this website to train ai models. i gotta keep my edge over our ai overlords somehow.